The need for custom cable & harness assemblies in Military Applications.
Custom cable & harness assemblies are needed for the production of a wide range of military equipment
Custom cable & harness assemblies are needed for the production of a wide range of military equipment, including:
- Military vehicles such as tanks, armored personnel carriers, and aircraft.
- Weapons systems such as missiles, radar systems, and electronic warfare systems.
- Communication systems such as radios, satellite systems, and data links.
- Electronic devices such as navigation systems, night vision equipment, and sensors.
- Power distribution systems for military equipment and facilities.
- Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and drones
- Military robots and drones
Military Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR) systems
- Military simulation and training systems.
- Explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) equipment.
There are many other military products that also require custom cable & harness assemblies. The specific requirements of each product determine the type of wiring harness that is needed.
Custom cable & harness assemblies for military applications typically need to be tamper proof and be able to withstand a wide range of harsh conditions, including:
- Temperature extremes: Military equipment is often used in extreme temperatures, both hot and cold. Products need to be able to function properly in these conditions without failure.
- Vibration and shock: Military equipment is often subjected to high levels of vibration and shock, such as when it is transported in vehicles or dropped from aircraft. Products need to be able to withstand these conditions without damage.
- Humidity and moisture: Military equipment is often used in humid and wet environments, such as near bodies of water or in tropical regions. Products need to be able to resist corrosion and maintain their electrical properties in these conditions.
- Dust and sand: Military equipment is often used in desert and other sandy environments. Products need to be able to resist dust and sand ingress, which can cause damage to equipment and degrade performance.
- Salt and salt spray: Military equipment is often used near the ocean and is exposed to salt and salt spray. Products need to be able to resist corrosion and maintain their electrical properties in these conditions.
- Explosive and ballistics: Military equipment is often used in combat environments, where it may be exposed to explosive blasts, gunfire, and other ballistics impacts. Products need to be able to withstand these conditions without failure.
- EMI/EMC: Military equipment is often used in proximity to other electronic equipment or devices, which can cause electromagnetic interference (EMI) or susceptibility (EMS). Products need to be able to resist these conditions and maintain their electrical properties in these conditions.
Custom cable & harness assemblies must be made to specific standards
Due to these extreme conditions, the requirements for military suppliers are very strict.
Custom cable & harness assemblies for military applications must be made with high-quality materials, using proper manufacturing techniques, such as crimping, soldering, and bonding. They must go thorough rigorous testing and inspection procedures to ensure that the wiring harnesses meet the required specifications and that they are free of defects. They must meet specific standards that ensure their reliability and performance in the harshest conditions.
These standards typically include requirements for materials, manufacturing processes, and testing procedures, including:
- MIL-STD-810: This standard covers the environmental engineering considerations for military equipment. It includes requirements for temperature, humidity, vibration, shock, and other environmental factors.
- MIL-STD-1275: This standard covers the electrical power requirements for military vehicles. It includes requirements for voltage, current, and power quality.
- MIL-STD-1399: This standard covers the interface requirements for naval ships. It includes requirements for electrical power, data, and fluid connections.
- MIL-STD-461: This standard covers the electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) requirements for military equipment. It includes requirements for conducted and radiated emissions and susceptibility.
- MIL-STD-704: This standard covers the electrical power characteristics for aerospace systems. It includes requirements for voltage, frequency, harmonic distortion, and power quality.
- Additionally, there are regulatory bodies such as the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) which also sets standards for aerospace and aviation industry.
While these are some of the standards that custom wiring harnesses for military applications need to meet, requirements sometimes vary depending on the specific application and equipment that the wiring will be used in.
Manufacturers of military equipment always have a high demand for custom wiring harnesses as they are used in a wide range of products. Custom wiring harnesses are necessary to ensure that this equipment functions properly and can withstand the harsh conditions of military use.
Military equipment often requires specialized wiring harnesses that can withstand extreme temperatures, vibration, and other environmental factors. The wiring harnesses also need to be secure and tamper-proof, to prevent unauthorized access to the equipment.
ATA is proud of our record of supplying quality custom cable & harness assemblies to our military manufacturing clients. It is an important area of manufacturing that we will continue to cater to.